Musings of an older man
Today is my 48th birthday. I know at this age birthdays come and go, but I’m having a hard time not framing this as the final end of my youth. At 48, I’m in my forties. Next year, I’ll be a step away from 50 and the following year—well, 50 can be the new 30 but it’s still 50. This is pretty much it, the last time I can be one of you. From here on out, I’m one of them.
Even numerically, 48 just works. It’s evenly divisible by 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12 and 24. Something that neat won’t happen again until 60 and that’s just plain old. 48 is a nice number, stuck between two primes and just round.
I have lived hard, laughed often, traveled to amazing places and met some of the most interesting people along the way (some more memorable than others). I have come very close to death, on several occasions, –one even on purpose. I have conquered my demons, I have been broke, rich, lied to, gone hungry and have been full. I have been dragged through the dirt and have picked myself up and dusted off. My heart is huge, my temper short and I would not think twice to give my life to protect those around me.
I have come a long way and have a long way to go. 48 is a way-point: the journey is the reward but it’s still important to stop along the way and note when the road starts to turn. It feels like it turns a bit today.
So happy birthday to me! I’ll celebrate like most people my age presumably do, which is to say act like nothing’s happened, be surprised when people I haven’t heard from all year remembers (thanks Facebook and other web services!), have a nice meal with my family and keep on moving. Because I only have a year before I have to figure out another way to justify that I’m really not old yet......
Today is my 48th birthday. I know at this age birthdays come and go, but I’m having a hard time not framing this as the final end of my youth. At 48, I’m in my forties. Next year, I’ll be a step away from 50 and the following year—well, 50 can be the new 30 but it’s still 50. This is pretty much it, the last time I can be one of you. From here on out, I’m one of them.
Even numerically, 48 just works. It’s evenly divisible by 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12 and 24. Something that neat won’t happen again until 60 and that’s just plain old. 48 is a nice number, stuck between two primes and just round.
I have lived hard, laughed often, traveled to amazing places and met some of the most interesting people along the way (some more memorable than others). I have come very close to death, on several occasions, –one even on purpose. I have conquered my demons, I have been broke, rich, lied to, gone hungry and have been full. I have been dragged through the dirt and have picked myself up and dusted off. My heart is huge, my temper short and I would not think twice to give my life to protect those around me.
I have come a long way and have a long way to go. 48 is a way-point: the journey is the reward but it’s still important to stop along the way and note when the road starts to turn. It feels like it turns a bit today.
So happy birthday to me! I’ll celebrate like most people my age presumably do, which is to say act like nothing’s happened, be surprised when people I haven’t heard from all year remembers (thanks Facebook and other web services!), have a nice meal with my family and keep on moving. Because I only have a year before I have to figure out another way to justify that I’m really not old yet......
Mindi Memmott Well said Mr Eastman. .. You always shock the hell out of me when you speak from your this way. .. just one more reason you keep me coming back for more babe!
Happy happy #48 to the love of my life! No one -but you -has ever stolen my heart! ♡♡♡♡
Thanks for being my lover, my fighter, my joker, my peace... You are my world babe ♡♡xoxo
Wishing YOU the best year of your life! ...all my love -M
Deirdre Lynn Davis I love you so very much happy happy birthday!!! You took my to my first U2 concert, introduced me to shrimply delicious and sushi, you took me sailing for the first time and than on my wedding day, you took me on my first 10,000 ft hike with a back pack, and I got to enjoy seeing you Tare it up skiing in Sundance, oh and you bought me my first octopus calamari pizza!!! oh the laughs the many laughs and great talks we have shared!! You have always been there!!! I love you brother!!
Verl Eastman I will trade you any day...to be 48 again. Well if I could do that...I might ask to be 18!!!
Don't worry so much...still a lot you can do at 60. When you get closer, I will give you my list of things you can still do...and believe me... an 8 ft drops off a boulder on a Mt Bike will still make your heart jump like it did at 18!!!
Enjoy being 48...your still young...
Don't worry so much...still a lot you can do at 60. When you get closer, I will give you my list of things you can still do...and believe me... an 8 ft drops off a boulder on a Mt Bike will still make your heart jump like it did at 18!!!
Enjoy being 48...your still young...
Tabitha Marburger Happy birthday D, you'll always be young!
Jennifer
Happy 4th big brother! It only gets better from here or so I have heard! I love you Donovan! I think that you are one of the most charitable, giving, loyal, loving, kind hearted men I know. I admire that you have chosen to learn from life's lessons and become who you are. A man who knows what he wants and does what he can to achieve it. I see what a wonderful husband you are to Mindi, and what a wonderful father you are not only to your kids but to Mindi's. I see the joy that you are having being a young grandpoppy! You are awesome. I hope you have had health, peace, joy and love this day. Oh I wanted to add that I love your snarkiness! It makes me smile. Forever and always your little sis.
Haha just read through my post. Dang auto spell! Not your 4th I don't think anyone would wish to go back to that age... Well then again anyway that was supposed to be a big 48!
Amanda HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Stacey
Wut up ole man happy bday from paris. Not far behind you




0 comments:
Post a Comment